IT Business Analyst (Platform)
location: Apple Valley, MN
SUMMARY: The IT Business Analyst will be accountable for defining, documenting and eliciting requirements for one or more software development projects. The individual is responsible for partnering and collaborating with internal Subject Matter Experts, Program Managers, Product Managers and other stake holders to ensure we capture all requirements and document them in order to proceed with development to deliver features for a technology product. The IT Business Analyst must be able to meet with all stakeholders – on the program management team, product management team, across other business units – in the formulation of requirements that are used by the development teams for successful, efficient project delivery. The IT Business Analyst must be able to understand our current features and capabilities or when new features are needed for successful project outcomes.
The IT Business Analyst also participates in both the technical and business teams in the definition of tasks across multiple projects. Experience with agile story writing a plus in this position, but we will train those without that experience but have all the other experience and attributes of a successful candidate. Participating across technology and cross-functional teams, this position will help in contributing to projects from beginning to end with goals of increased efficiency, transparency and quality. As a part of the platform development team, the IT Business Analyst contributes requirements (stories) to the backlog of work and collaborates with team members to execute sprints and releases. This position requires an ability to think critically to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
Working with the various functional teams (internal and external), the program management team, the product management team and the product development teams, the IT Business Analyst will contribute to a compelling strategic differentiation of Questar’s current and future products and services. The IT Business Analyst also works closely with the Platform Manager to ensure projects are properly scoped, completed on-time and on-budget.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and maintain relationships (through expertise and influence) with cross-functional and technology teams resulting in an environment of highly effective collaboration, communication, and execution of programs/processes across the organization.
- Define, implement and evolve a communication plan/path to provide leadership with appropriate status updates that include risk assessment, product release options/schedules, and organizational impact.
- Act as an internal process improvement consultant for other internal groups looking to maximize their process, documentation and other work products surrounding project planning and requirements.
- Act as a liaison to Questar’s external audience including potential and current clients/partners, as it pertains to the overall user-experience, design considerations, and product specifications for Questar’s products and services.
- Elicit requirements and business objectives from key stakeholders – internal and external - for future application or technology-related solutions.
- Document system requirements and functional specifications based upon internal and external customer needs.
- Critically evaluate information from multiple sources, decompose high-level information into detailed process flow/requirements.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings with business leaders and technical staff including but not limited to: requirements gathering, prioritization, sprint/project planning, and demonstrations/retrospectives.
- Participate in and/or facilitate the prioritization, sizing and business justification of future product enhancements.
- Lead and/or participate on internal and client project team meetings including Agile sprint teams.
- Work closely with the User Experience, Web Design, Front End and Back End Developers, Architects and key subject matter experts in defining and delivering solutions.
- Work collaboratively with QA team to prepare and execute acceptance test cases for application development projects to help ensure quality throughout development life cycle
- Work collaboratively with Product Managers to facilitate the preparation of features and functionality documentation and updates configuration manuals in support of product releases.
- Clarify requirements / user stories with Developers and QA Analysts to ensure a common understanding of project scope.
- Participate in discussions in department-wide and smaller team meetings.
- Coordinate with developers, QA and project team members to triage and resolve issues.
- Escalate risks that will directly impact project timelines and deliverables to the Platform Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar discipline
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- 3+ years in any combination of business analysis roles in high-paced internet-based organizations or within website departments in traditional organizations, experience with online education products highly desirable.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple planned and unplanned projects.
- Ability to turn concepts into project requirements, perform requirements gathering and writing appropriate documentation, which leads to successful feature development and timely project completion.
- Working knowledge of SDLC methodologies, requirements documentation and software development project leadership.
- Experience with Agile software methodologies preferred. Formal training in one or more recognized Agile methodologies (Scrum, XP, kanban, etc.) or toolsets (JIRA, VersionOne, Rally, etc.) a plus.
- Current experience with business analysis and project documentation for mobile development a plus.
- Knowledge of computer systems in PC, client-server, and web-enabled systems.
- Experience with all MS Office applications and document creation software.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require visa sponsorship now or in the future.