The Software Development Manager is the leader of the Scoring and Reporting teams. This role is responsible for the delivery and resourcing of the scoring and reporting functions at Questar. The candidate must be passionate about developing great software that will delight our customers; developing great teams with a passion for success; and developing great processes that will ensure the highest possible quality of product. This role requires excellent analytical and planning skills and a demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams.
The Software Development Manager is responsible for the day-to-day technical duties found in the Scoring and Reporting Teams. The role will directly manage, mentor and facilitate the developers on the teams; serve as the project lead and the evangelist for best practices for the development of systems that score student responses and report statistics to clients and stakeholders.
The Software Development Manager is a highly qualified software developer working on Questar’s multi-platform code bases. This role oversees code produced by a team of developers for implementing new features, maintaining and refactoring existing code, establishing and refining development standards across the breadth of products used both internally and customer facing at Questar Assessment, Inc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS:
Estimation of project effort and technical design documentation to direct developers approach;
- Collaborate with stakeholders to provide accurate work estimates
- Create and/or drive efficiencies between development and requirements gathering with supplemental technical design documentation
- Monitor performance against technical documentation to provide continuous improvement as needed
- Collaborate with BA, QA, off-shore resources, and product owners to develop new enhancements and releases
Development to support product and project needs;
- Provide development coding and consulting support to products under development
- Isolate key areas of concern and document needs for implementation team to be aware of as products are delivered for use in production environments
- Integrate with client implementation team to provide development guidance and performance feedback to improve code performance
- Research new technologies and build prototypes as the testing industry continues to evolve
- Enhance current system to ensure backend scalability and front-end design integrity
- Developing updates to existing internal and external facing software to enhance the customer experience and provide development staff with easily maintainable code.
Code-review and mentoring other developers;
- Review and critique database code to ensure quality and recovery methods
- Collaborate with Architects in best practices for code implementation with code reviews prior to deployment from the development environments
- Work one-on-one and in small team groups to discuss and refine poorly performing code
- Develop code with front-end developers to streamline and support online content authoring and publishing capability that is needed to feed new and innovative items to students across nation.
- Develop clean code that utilize proven design pattern in a test-driven development environment
Trouble-shooting and production support of client issues;
- During live production activities respond to client support requests and customer service requests with solutions in collaboration with architects
- Work with Infrastructure teams to trouble-shoot problem areas
- Provide clear and consistent communication around solutions and timelines to client-facing program management teams.
Supervision of Team Members;
- Manage and direct up to five software developers. Evaluate employee performance, set expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruit, discipline and train staff.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Information Systems or Equivalent Experience.