The Database Developer/Administrator will be supporting Questar’s database systems for both internal and external clients. Bring your ideas on how things could be better and they will be listened to, evaluated and where appropriate implemented.
While Questar’s database environment is predominantly Microsoft SQL Server 2012, there are some MySQL instances supporting internal tools. Databases are currently under source control using Subversion repositories and Red Gate source control, as well as GIT.
Your experience and knowledge will help to drive Questar’s student test taking platform to well perceived products that brings confidence and delight to students and teachers across districts in United Status.
Estimation of project effort and technical design documentation to direct Developers approach
- Collaborate with Directors and IT Project Managers to provide accurate work estimates
- Create efficiencies between development and requirements gathering with supplemental technical design documentation
- Monitor performance against technical documentation to provide continuous improvement as needed
- Collaborate with BA, QA, off-shore resources, and product owners to develop new enhancements and releases
Code-review and mentoring other developers
- Review and critique database code to ensure quality and recovery methods
- Collaborate with Architects in best practices for code implementation with code reviews prior to deployment from the development environments
- Work one-on-one and in small team groups to discuss and refine poorly performing code
Support of current and future data systems
- Assist in troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Design indexes for existing applications, choosing when to add or remove indexes
- When users complain about the performance of a particular query, help developers improve the performance of that query by tweaking it or suggesting indexes
Development to support product and project needs
- Provide development coding and consulting support to products under development
- Integrate with client implementation team to provide development guidance and performance feedback to improve code performance
- Assist in enhancement of current systems to ensure backend scalability and data integrity
- Development of database code that meets or exceeds defined requirements
Trouble-shooting and production support of client issues
- During live production activities respond to client support requests and customer service requests with solutions in collaboration with Database Systems Manager
- Knowledge and know-how to troubleshoot potential issues, and experience with best practices around database operations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all members of the organization in person and during remote conferences.
- Ability to understand through communication the needs of the business.
- Ability to clearly explain database concepts and procedures to appropriate staff as necessary.
- Clear, effective written communications.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated a MUST.
- Team oriented, open, honest and collaborative – non-political approach.
- Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Write clean, clear and commented code
- Ability to test your code
- Hard working, with “delivery to customer” in mind
- Strong SQL expertise, you can write a query to do almost anything.
- The ability to write database code that performs efficiently under system load.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent work experience
- Proven background and strong experience of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Experience with Microsoft full Database Stack (T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS)
- Experience using Red Gate Tools a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL databases a plus.
- Ability to write clean, standardized, and code that performs optimally in highly concurrent environments.
- Knowledge of education standards such as QTI/APIP, SIF, AIF is a plus
- Experience with ETL.