The Item Development Manager is responsible for coordinating efforts around the creation, management and maintenance of assessment item import, creation, export and packaging tools. He/she will be the primary interface for managing the creation and import of item content into the test delivery system. The manager will serve as a liaison between the tech team and internal item developers and managers. He/she will schedule cross-team planning, check-in and release meetings. The manager will also work within an agile environment to plan, develop and deliver project priorities, sprints, levels of effort, milestones, and deliverables in order to meet the needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
In addition to managing the long term schedule, the Senior Item Development Manager is responsible for the day-to-day technical duties found in the Item Development Team. He/she will directly manage, mentor and facilitate the developers and subject matter experts on the team. He/she will serve as the project lead and the evangelist for best practices for the storage, versioning and presentation layer of item development. He/she will also act as the conduit for items to flow between development and deployment.
The Senior Item Development Manager should be passionate about software development. Preferred candidates would be well versed in item development processes and have familiarity with the QTI 2.x+ item specification. He/she should have experience working in an environment with secure deliverables, such as high-stakes assessment items or personally identifiable information (PII).
- Plan and coordinate resources around the maintenance of item development tools
- Maintain status of various projects by proactively monitoring the activities of team members and leads
- Communicate project plan information, objectives and deliverables to the team
- Manage and partner with vendors and dependent teams across the organization, holding resources accountable
- Coordinate efforts between the team and internal and/or external providers of content
- Develop and refine processes for importing items into the test delivery system
- Collect requirements and issues from stakeholders maintaining a clear channel of communication
- Facilitate the creation of software requirement specification documents, user stories, and deployment guides
- Report on the status of content imports, software development and other projects to all stakeholders
- Manage, mentor and facilitate developers and subject matter experts
- Evangelize the use of proper item development and exchange formats and techniques
- Protect resources and ensure timely delivery of content to the test delivery system team.
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, CS or Related; Masters degree preferred.
- 8+ years of software development experience around software engineering, quality assurance, or technical project management.
- Experience in many software development lifecycle management techniques, including waterfall and Agile software methodologies, web-based infrastructure, and data-configurable systems
- Experience with Agile lifecycle development and tracking software such as Jira for task management and Git for source control.
- The position requires excellent documentation and communication skills, a very proactive and detail-oriented person and a strong team-oriented attitude.