The Lead Sr. Proposal Manager has primary responsibility for leading the complete proposal process, from pre RFP release activities to successful proposal submission. Questar responds to RFPs which require complex and strategic solutions, most often in response to bid requests from state departments of education. The Lead Sr. Proposal Manager plays a critical role in proposal success, and the role calls for excellent project leadership, project management and written communications skills (writing and editing), along with ability to collaborate with designated subject matter experts in all of Questar’s functional areas (distribution/collection, processing operations, program management, assessment development, IT/IS, measurement/research, and performance assessment) to develop and deliver all components of a final proposal.
The Lead Sr. Proposal Manager manages and participates in all aspects of proposal development including editing the work of subject matter experts, writing new positioning, and editing all the components together in a way that addresses both compliance and sales strategy. As team lead leadership responsibilities include: assessing proposal complexity and making team assignments; coaching and mentoring other proposal managers and other team members; tracking and monitoring status of proposal projects across the team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and own the entire proposal process from pre RFP release work through development and production.
- Collaborate with the Proposal and Business Development Team to ensure project objectives are met.
- Review RFP in detail and evaluate contents for key information.
- Prepare for and facilitate proposal-related meetings (kick-off, solution, etc.).
- Prepare proposal project calendar.
- Prepare work plan, deadlines, and assignments, and notify participants of work plan and deadlines.
- As available, provide boilerplate text for subject matter experts.
- Write original text, as needed, in consultation with subject matter experts.
- Review text submitted by SMEs for compliance.
- Compile and edit full first draft, ensuring accuracy, consistent voice, and other alignment with best practices for proposal positioning.
- Submit draft for management review and address edits.
- Coordinate with pricing and production resources to produce and ship final proposal.
- Address follow-up questions, as necessary.
- As team lead take responsibility for: assessing proposal complexity and making team assignments; coaching and mentoring other proposal managers and other team members; tracking and monitoring status of proposal projects across the team.
- Bachelor's degree in English, communication studies, journalism, education, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years of experience working in proposal field (proposal development, management, and writing), or work that is closely comparable (grant writing, technical writing, etc.), or project management in large-scale educational assessment/testing field.
- Strong command of English language, with superior writing, editing, proofreading skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including periods of high RFP volume.
- Team player as well as ability to work independently.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and effectively.
- 4+ years of editorial experience.
- Experience educational testing providers or related field.
- APMP training/certification is preferred.
- Experience with government RFPs (state and district).
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint, Visio and Adobe InDesign.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship now or in the future.