Portfolio Manager, PM for IT
Questar Assesment has a Portfolio Project Manager Position open at our corporate office in Apple Valley, MN. The Portfolio Project Manager is responsible for managing a team of IT Project Managers, managing portfolio (cross project) deliverables and leading multiple client facing projects. The individual is responsible for identifying and reporting on cross project deliverables that include product enhancements and program delivery. This position will create and manage a release schedule that our technology teams will use to help staff and plan releases. This position will also be a resource manager for a team of IT Project Managers including staffing, performance reviews, one on one meeting, coaching and mentoring. The ideal candidate will have experience with managing direct reports; portfolio management and IT project management. This individual will help identify and implement best practices in our PMO as we continue to mature our processes.
This position will report to the Director of Project Management. The Questar Project Management Office (PMO) is key to the organizations successful delivery of projects and enhancements. This role requires strong leadership and communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a team of IT Project Managers.
- Point person in the organization to map scheduling for product enhancement and program management deliverables that require technology releases. Work with project managers to document and track delivery dates and provides a global view.
- Work closely with our technology leadership team, helping plan releases short term and long term.
- Lead and drive internal cross functional teams to meet project deliverables. Provide transparency into tasks and status.
- Create and manage project details identifying what needs to be done when by whom.
- Participate in ensuring SDLC processes are followed.
- Proactively provide clear, concise communication on all project deliverables and risks.
- Lead project meetings and large group events. Provide leadership in all meetings related to your project.
- Provide clear project scope, vision and timelines to all internal partners (Scrum Masters, Developers, QA, Leadership, Operations, Program Managers).
- Build and maintain positive relationships with project team and internal business partners..
- Lead and drive internal cross functional teams to meet program deliverables.
- Manage technical support for your program or enhancement communicating status, issues and risks.
- Proactively identifying resource constraints and working with personnel managers on creative solutions.
- Manage the unexpected gracefully and effectively.
- Remove roadblocks for project teams.
- Serve as the conduit and act as liaison between the customers (internal and external), software development team and technical teams.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change, work beyond the Technology department to further optimize and improve existing process.
- Build a knowledge base of project types to draw from to optimize processes.
- Work closely with technology team leadership on all technology components; hardware, infrastructure, software, releases and production support.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- At least two (2) years experience managing resources directly
- At least five (5) years of project/program management or project leadership experience demonstrating experience managing and participating in IT projects.
- Experience managing portfolio’s and or release schedules
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with internal and external customers at all organizational levels.
- Experience building and managing a project schedule in Microsoft Project or similar project management tool utilizing data-based decision-making (GANTT charts, etc).
- Ability to lead medium to large scale projects, including development of plans for scope, timeline, budget, issue management, and managing change
- Experience conducting and leading team meetings to manage the schedule, identify risks and review project deliverables
- Good customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to manage complex and varied interpersonal relationships to successfully complete projects.
- Excellent ability to organize time and information to successfully complete projects.
- Ability to lead and model behaviors for other team members.
- Experience with both waterfall and agile project management.
- Willingness to drive process improvement.
- Ability to motivate and encourage team with a positive attitude.
- Willingness to “dig in” and drive your project / enhancement. Must be self-motivated
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Be a leader of all managed team members gaining respect of all while promoting a fun, delivery oriented environment.
- Provide guidance and support for all project team members. Removing roadblocks and helping them be successful.
- A track record of directing, inspiring, and motivating others to achieve results which exceed what is believed to be possible.
- Experience presenting to large and small groups.
- Strong meeting facilitation skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all members of the organization in person and during remote conferences.
- Ability to understand through communication the needs of the business and then relay that information to the appropriate business and/or technical resources.
- Ability to clearly explain application concepts and procedures to appropriate staff as necessary.
- Display excellent communication skills by being able to converse with technical and non-technical people; write concise and clear reports; and make effective presentations.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated.
- An impeccable reputation for honesty, integrity, and for doing the right thing – a role model for others.
- A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers.
- Ability to listen and learn from others.