The Database Developer will be supporting Questar’s database systems for both internal and external clients. Bring your ideas on how things could be better and they will be listened to, evaluated and where appropriate implemented.
We are looking for a qualified Database developer to design stable and reliable databases, according to our company’s needs. You will be responsible for developing, testing, improving and maintaining new and existing databases to help users retrieve data effectively.
While Questar’s database environment is predominantly Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2016, with a few 2008R2 instances there are some MySQL instances supporting internal tools.
Your experience and knowledge will help to drive Questar’s student test taking platform to well perceived products that brings confidence and delight to students and teachers across districts in United Status.
As part of our IT team, you will work closely with developers to ensure system consistency. You will also collaborate with administrators and clients to provide technical support and identify new requirements. Communication and organization skills are keys for this position, along with a problem-solution attitude.
Ultimately, you should be able to ensure our database systems run effectively and securely on a daily basis.
- Development to support product and project needs
- Provide development coding and consulting support to products under development
- Isolate key areas of concern and document needs for implementation team to be aware of as products are delivered for use in Production environments
- Integrate with client implementation team to provide development guidance and performance feedback to improve code performance
- Assist in enhancement of current systems to ensure backend scalability and data integrity
- Design stable, reliable and effective databases
- Optimize and maintain legacy systems
- Modify databases according to requests and perform tests
- Develop technical documentation
- Ensure all database programs meet company and performance requirements
- Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols
- Code-review and mentoring other developers and the other members of the data team
- Review and critique database code to ensure quality and recovery methods
- Work one-on-one and in small team groups to discuss and refine poorly performing code
- Liaise with developers to improve applications and establish best practices
- Trouble-shooting and production support of client issues
- During live production activities respond to client support requests and customer service requests with solutions in collaboration with Database Systems Manager
- Work with Infrastructure teams to trouble-shoot problem areas
- Solve database usage issues and malfunctions
- Provide data management support to users
- Experience: 3-5 years of database development
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent work experience
- Proven background and strong experience of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Experience with Microsoft full Database Stack (T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS)
- Ability to write clean, standardized, and code that performs optimally in highly concurrent environments.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft DMVs to diagnose issues
- Ability to work in high paced fast moving environment
- Hands on experience with performance tuning of database code
- Experience using Red Gate Tools.
- Experience with offshore development teams.
- Experience with SSAS.
- Experience with Data warehousing is a plus
- Knowledge of education standards such as QTI/APIP, SIF, AIF is a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must be willing to relocate to the Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN area (telecommuting not available)