Senior Director of Assessment Development
The Senior Director of Assessment Development is responsible for leading the assessment development team, establishing great team work and communications, delivering accurate and on-time work, interfacing with clients, and collaborating with other Questar Assessment teams (e.g., technology, publications, program management). The Assessment Development team leads all aspects of assessment design and content development including activities such as test design, blueprint development, test and item specifications, item development, and forms construction. The Senior Director of Assessment Development will report to the Chief Assessment Officer.
The Senior Director of Assessment Development is a leader on the Assessment Services team and within Questar. As such, quality, service, commitment, innovation, problem solving, and flexibility are expected. We are seeking a colleague drawn to working in a fast-paced environment and that also has fun while accomplishing challenging and meaningful work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee test design strategy including Questar’s own branded models for engaging educators as well as partnering with the very best test strategists in the industry to help states realize the opportunities of using technology-driven assessments.
- Create a scalable and efficient model for educator engagement and item writer workshops.
- Build and source content for a variety purposes including classroom, interim, and summative assessments.
- Develop and manage relationships with external content development partners. Establish clear scopes of work with roles and responsibilities outlined. Develop cost expectations for various development activities. Maintain strong communication including feedback on quality and timelines as well as providing program context needed to drive quality work.
- Develop processes and workflows to increase efficiency and reduce errors and rework.
- Develop and maintain a budget. Forecast resource needs across the annual item and form development cycle. Develop a plan for scaling up and managing temporary resources during peak times.
- Interface with Questar internal teams, and represent assessment development in areas such as developing project schedules and milestones, technology requirements, and processes and workflows.
- Develop and maintain metrics for assessment development, item and assessment quality, and item inventory which can be used to measure internal progress, guide future strategy, and showcase capabilities externally.
- Fulfill the needs of the customer (both internal and external) by alleviating pinch points and creating solutions as problems occur.
- Guide and mentor a team to grow and balance their skills. Enhance talent within the organization by evaluating employee outcomes relative to goals, holding team members accountable, and upgrading or reassigning talent as necessary.
- Guide the development and maintenance of Questar’s expertise in item and test development, instructionally related content, and alternate and ELL assessment. Help ensure Questar is a leader in design, development, and implementation of new and innovative assessment systems.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in people management. Experience leading remote employees preferred.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects with cross functional teams. PMP certification preferred.
- Knowledge of the K-12 education assessment industry (e.g. standards, policy, RFP process).
- Proactive strategic thinker, with ability to move rapidly between big picture and tactical detail level.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiating and conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and team building skills.
- Ability to work with team members in different locations.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship now or in the future.